Vision of George Albert Smith

In 1946 I witnessed a prophetic utterance made by George Albert Smith, prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1945 to 1951. I am a son of Dr. Lyman Merrill Horne and Myrtle Swainston Horne. My father was a great-grandson of George A. Smith, cousin of the Prophet Joseph and counselor to Brigham Young. His grandson, President George Albert Smith, was Dad's mother's first cousin. From 1944 until March 1947 we lived on the same block in the Yale Ward as George Albert Smith and frequently had contact with him. Many times he paused at our home while on his evening walk and talked with me as I worked in our front yard. My family visited him a few times at his home, and he visited my family at our home several times. He always showed pleasure when I met him and once told me what work the Lord had for me to do and what I must do to be prepared to do His work.

One day our father arranged for George Albert Smith to speak to us in a family time. The Prophet told us of a vision he had had. At least eleven elements of it have occurred, and the rest may occur soon. My record of his prophecy may be important because it may not be officially recorded. Last year I visited the Church historian's library to read Pres. Smith's journal to see what he had written about it but the staff knew nothing of it. I then discussed it with Leonard Arrington, former Church historian, who said, "I have never heard of it." Even Arthur Haycock, his faithful secretary, did not know of it, but he did not work with Pres. Smith until July 1947.

We dressed up in our best clothes. I shined my shoes again and again. Our father was disappointed with a sister who went to a movie with her boyfriend. Dad asked her to stay with her beau, who had finished his Navy service in August 1946, and share the evening with the Lord's prophet, but she would not. We were seated at the given time in the living room ready for the prophet to arrive. Present were my father and mother, my sister, Alice Merrill Horne II (age 17), my brother, Robert H. Horne (age 14), my twin, Jonathan H. Horne, and I (ages 11). It was after dark and we had difficulty making the front porch light work. It was cold in that room and I was glad to wear a coat. Thus I think his visit was between October 1946 and January 1947. Thereafter we were preparing to move. President Smith said much more than what I remember exactly, but some of his statements were so impressive that I have a brilliant recollection of them.

When Pres. Smith arrived we sang a verse of "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet." He stood and talked without notes for some time about the importance of keeping the commandments, always giving a full tithe, and being a good example wherever we are. He told us he was once on a train in Mexico with no other individuals of northern European descent on board. He said that a man recognized him as a leader of the "Mormon" Church and introduced himself as a Mexican government official. Pres. Smith noted how embarrassed he and the Church would have been had he not been acting as a faithful servant of the Lord should. I heard him also tell that story in another talk.

Then Pres. Smith said, "I have had a troublesome vision of another great and terrible war that made the war just ended (World War II) look like a training exercise and people died like flies. It began at a time when the Soviet Union's military might dwarfed that of the United States, and we [that is, the United States] would have missiles in Europe that carried an atomic bomb. I saw the United States withdraw its missiles to appease the Soviet Union, and then the war began." He also said that we would have big missiles in deep holes he described like grain silos which the Soviets would try to destroy with their own missiles. They would hit military installations and some cities also. He said that the president at that time would be of Greek extraction.

Until then all the presidents would be of British or northern European ancestry. He continued that the U.S. would be bound by numerous entangling alliances and would take away weapons owned by the people. He talked some about the initial attack and the ground warfare, but I can't remember enough to document all their tactics and in which countries various things occurred. One tactic, especially in Europe, was to transport tanks in thousands of big trucks like semi-trailers on the super highways to have them located where they wanted them when the war was to begin. During that explanation I asked, "What about the Atomic Cannon?" to which he answered, "I didn't see anything like that." Then he said, "The aftermath was dreadful. Think of the worst, most difficult times of the Depression." He turned to us children and said, "You won't remember the Depression," which was true. I didn't know there was a depression as I was growing up - the sun came up every morning, flowers bloomed, we went to school, and there was church every Sunday. But he repeated to our parents, "Think of the worst condition of the Depression. Can you think of something?" Our father answered, "Oh yes!" Then Pres. Smith continued, "You know how Sunday school picnics are complete with salad, chicken, root beer, and dessert, and everyone has a wonderful time. The worst time of the Depression will seem like a Sunday school picnic when compared with conditions that will exist after that great war." When he finished speaking he turned around and went to the front door. As he left I thought to myself, "What he said is really important. I've got to remember it!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Horse Prophecy by Joseph Smith

Vision of John Taylor